Methodology & Guidelines
- Mini-HTA (ongoing)
- Mapping HTA (ongoing)
- Government Priorities
The CMeRC has commissioned following projects in line with the priority areas of the South African Department of Health:
- Non-Communicable Diseases such as diabetes
- Communicable Diseases such as TB
- Maternal and child health
*these reports will be uploaded soon
- Govender, M, Letshokgohla, ME, Basu, D. 2010. Health technology assessment – a new initiative in South Africa. S Afr Med J, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 334.
- Mueller DB, Govender M, Basu D. 2011. Health technology assessment in South Africa – future promise. S Afr Med J, vol. 101, no. 5. 286-287.
- Govender M, Mueller DB, Basu D. 2011. Purchasing of medical equipment in public hospitals: The mini-HTA tool. S Afr Med J, vol. 101, no. 11, pp 807-808.
- Mueller DB, Govender M, Basu D. 2014. A new horizon for the medical device sector in South Africa. S Afr Med J,104(5):326.
- Basu D, Govender M, Mueller DB, Croce D, et al. 2015. Concept for health service laboratories. Taking Policy into Practice for Social Determinants of Health. http://tie.inspvirtual.mx/portales/sdhnet/HealthServicesLaboratory.pdf
- General information on HTA:
- HTA Glossary (http://htaglossary.net/HomePage) produced jointly by INAHTA and HTAi
- European network in HTA, EunetHTA Glossary of HTA Adaptation Terms
- A Guide to Internet Sources of Information. Chojecki Tjosvold. IHE. 2014. HTA on the Net (http://www.ihe.ca/advanced-search/health-technology-assessment-on-the-net-2015)
- An introduction to Health Technology Assessment – Goodman 2014, HTA 101 (https://www.nlm.nih.gov/nichsr/hta101/HTA_101_FINAL_7-23-14.pdf)
- A systematic review of HTA tools (http://health-policy-systems.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1478-4505-12-66) which are being used in low and middle income countries
- WHO HTA page (http://www.who.int/medical_devices/assessment/en/)
- Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews
- NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination
- NIH Health Information
- US National Library of Medicine
- TRIP Database: Trip database is a medical search engine with emphasis on clinical guidelines and queries (those including Cochrane Bandolier) and EBM
HTA Methodology and Guidelines
- A report developed under the work of EU Working Group4, addressing the best practices in undertaking and reporting health technology assessments Best practice in undertaking and reporting HTA
- Using INAHTA Checklist can help to maintain a consistent and transparent approach to HTA. Please note that a report may be valid and beneficial to the local context without meeting all the criteria listed in the checklist. HTA checklist – INAHTA
- A collaborative project that builds and supports the Evidence-Informed Policy Network EVIPNet in Africa and Regional East African Community Health (REACH) is Supporting the Use of Research Evidence (SURE) set of resources for preparing rapid responses to policymakers in need of research evidence
- Mini-HTA tool developed by the Danish Center of Evaluation and Health Technology Assessment
- WHO-CHOICE CHoosing Internventions that are cost-effective.
- Generalized cost-effectiveness analysis for national-level priority setting in the health sector.
- EUnetHTA HTA Adaptation Toolkit. Adaptation toolkit of HTA reports was developed by a partnership of HTA agencies and network across Europe (EUnetHTA work package 5) is applicable only to those reports that are a synthesis of evidence.
- Case study using the adaptation toolkit applicable to PET and Hodgkin’s disease