The CMeRC HTA Unit is focused on the analysis of clinical, economic and impact resulting from the use of drugs, devices, practices and health care services.
Health Technology Assessment refers to a comprehensive, systematic evaluation of the assumptions for, and consequences of the application (initial and continued) of health technology. It is applied at all levels of the health service as an in-depth scientific analysis forming the basis of policy, as a systematic process in planning and operational policy, and as an underlying process for the operation of health institutions and routine clinical decisions of health professionals (INAHTA 2011).
The CMeRC- HTA Unit is focused on the analysis of clinical, economic and impact resulting from the use of drugs, devices, practices and health care services. It is the first Unit recognized by the International Network of Agencies for Health Technology Assessment (INAHTA) in Africa.
The Unit conducts HT assessments as requested by our constituent members. We also provide advice at a decentralized level of the health system (provincial, district and hospital level).
To promote an interdisciplinary and scientific environment in clinical practice that fosters excellence in acquiring, production, communication and implementation of health technology for the improvement of patient care in an efficient and creative way.
To provide comprehensive research, service and training in HTM/ HTA through multi-disciplinary research programme thereby improving use of HT within South Africa and outside its borders.
- To bring together the research and clinical expertise of Centre members investigating a wide range of HT within South Africa
- To provide top quality integrated facilities for HT research.
- To set-up an information centre for data-mining and training of health professionals and patients
- To set up best practices in teaching and research in the context of HTM/ HTA and expedite the translation of research findings into clinical practice by:
- Providing patients with comprehensive multi-disciplinary services.
- Offering outstanding training and career opportunities for scientists, doctors, nurses, engineers and other professional staff.
- To create synergy and opportunities for cross-fertilization of ideas, thereby encouraging interaction and collaboration among academic, Department of Health and private health care providers
- Southern African HTA society
- International Network of Agencies for Health Technology Assessment (INAHTA)
- Heath Technology Assessment international (HTAi)HTA